1. Practice mindfulness: Use any or all of your five senses to be present in the moment. Smell the peel of an orange and let that awaken you. Savor the feel of rubbing lotion on your hands. Observe a piece of art work, great or small, and let it stimulate your mind. Listen to the sounds of the world outside. Enjoy each and every bite of the meal you are eating, chewing and swallowing with patience and awareness.
2. Take a moment to pause: Before you respond to a person or situation, take one deep breath and allow yourself time to think about how you want to handle this moment in time. Then do so.
3. Get outdoors: Winter does not have to mean hibernation! Bundle up and take a walk around the block. Find a nature trail or visit a local park. Breathe in the crisp, cool air and let it rejuvenate you. Let the sun warm your face.
4. Love yourself: Be your own cheerleader. Focus on something positive about you and commend yourself for it! Practice internal kindness.
5. Give back: A gesture as small as smiling at a stranger in the check out line, or letting a car get in front you in traffic, can give you a sense of connectedness. Give of your time, your skills and your positivity to help remind you that we are in this together.
Click here for more information on Individual Therapy.
About the Author
Suzanne Devoti, LCSW is a therapist at Olive Branch Therapy Group. Suzanne works with children, adolescents, young adults, adults, and couples. Suzanne’s specialties include depression, anxiety, grief, couples, parenting, families, and women’s issues. If you are interested in working with Suzanne, contact us via email, phone or chat on our website.