At Olive Branch Therapy Group, we are often asked by parents if their teenagers need counseling, if their emotions are “normal” or if their actions “fit” their age. We know how difficult these years can be, for both parent and teenager, and that’s why we offer specialized therapy directed at young people between the ages of 13 and 19.
Common Concerns We See with Teenagers
Common issues we see with adolescents are very similar to those we see with adults. Some of the most common issues we see include:
- low self-esteem/lack of confidence
- concerns about self-image
- difficulty managing stress (often leading to self-injury)
- difficulty with relationships (from family to friends)
- inability to handle conflict
- anxiety or stress
- aggressive behavior
- substance abuse issues
Our Approach to Teen Therapy at Olive Branch Therapy Group
While venting and speaking to someone else about issues help many young adults, here at Olive Branch Therapy Group we strive to help teenagers beyond that. We focus on providing each teenager with the tools they need to grow and solve future issues.
We recognize that each teen is their own person and have their own unique needs. Therefore, treatment is different for everyone. For some teenagers, talking throughout a therapy session comes naturally. For others, in-depth conversations take some getting used to, and we appreciate that. Together, we’ll ease into the process of discovering what helps your teenager, using self-reflection and different personal growth strategies, like goal building, meditation and journaling, to heal and nurture maturity.
Teen Therapy: What to Expect
A typical therapy session for teens involves:
- Introductions between our therapist and you (the teenager and/or the parent)
- A discussion on how we approach different issues, conditions or scenarios and our methods of therapy
- A look at your family and medical history
- Time for you to discuss what issues you are facing at school, in your home, with friends, etc. and/or what mental health concerns you may have
- Learning coping skills and relaxation techniques, discussing solutions to problems, and other management tools for mental health
As mentioned before, each individual is different, therefore each teen’s therapy session may include different strategies, discussions or timelines.
How to Get Started with Teen Therapy
If you or your teenager feel therapy could be beneficial, or simply have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our team at Olive Branch Therapy Group. We look forward to helping you find the peace you and your teen deserve.
Is therapy right for your child? There are a lot of reasons children can benefit from therapy. If they are seeming overwhelmed frequently, like multiple
If you’re a parent, chances are you spend a lot of time trying to do right by your child. Parenting is one of the toughest