Meet Joana Couto: Hello! I’m a therapist at Olive Branch Therapy Group. I am a Licensed Associate Counselor (LAC). I received my undergraduate degree from Rutgers University majoring in psychology and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. My graduate degree is from The College of New Jersey, where I completed the Clinical Mental Health Track as well as the educational requirements for the Addiction and Marriage, Couple, and Family Therapy Track. I’ve been in practice since 2018.
My Therapy Specialties:
I specialize in working with diverse adults, children, couples and families dealing with:
- Life transitions, anxiety, depression, trauma, and issues related to first-generation children of immigrants and underrepresented populations.
- I also have a particular interest in using expressive techniques in therapy such as sand play therapy and art techniques.
What drew me to this work:
I am passionate about creating a safe relationship and space in partnership with clients, so that they can process what is going on for them. What drew me to this work is how resilient people are despite the challenges and traumas they are facing. I hope to walk alongside my clients towards the goals and life they hope for themselves. Often, I expose clients to different tools along the way, such as Progressive Muscle Relaxation. But ultimately you determine which techniques are a right fit.
My style:I have a warm, nonjudgmental, creative, and integrative style. Often, we may find it difficult to express what is going on for us. I’ve found that giving clients multiple ways to express themselves such as through sand play therapy, art techniques, or other prompts and activities may help us to find the right words.
Services I Offer:
In-person individual, couple, and family therapy as well as online video counseling for residents of New Jersey.
Joana Couto’s Credentials:
- Licensed Associate Counselor (LAC): License # 37AC00493200
- Certified in: Level 1 Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples Externship, Sand Play Therapy, Yoga Teacher Training 200-hour, Yoga for Emotion Regulation/Trauma Sensitive training.
- President of New Jersey Multicultural Counseling Association (NJAMC) 2020-2021.
- Co-President of Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota.
- I specialize in restorative yoga.
- Languages Spoken: English and Portuguese